Canvas opened for all users at Umeå university on May 4, 2020. Canvas is the new learning platform that will replace Cambro and Moodle.
On October 29, 2019, the Vice-chancellor decided on the project plan for introducing Canvas as the new learning platform at the university. The decision meant that the launch of the new learning platform, Canvas, could begin.
Updates for the project
Report grades in Canvas and LADOK
Sunet and LADOK have been cooperating to enable the function to report results in Canvas and have them sent to LADOK automatically. The function is now available and an instruction (in Swedish) can be found in the "Help" section in Canvas.
Instruction on how to report results from Canvas to LADOK (in Swedish)
Course evaluations in Canvas
There is no integrated function for course evaluation in Canvas at the moment. You can use the Quiz function in Canvas, Microsoft forms or use Cambro or Moodle for the course evaluations. There is a separate project aiming to implement a survey tool for the university. The integration in Canvas is being tested and workshops are planned.
Updates on course evaluations in Canvas will follow.
The project will offer different types of training in Canvas.
Go to the page Training to read more about available dates for training.
Approximate time plan
- November 2019: Start of the project and the call-off contract is completed.
- November 2019-February 2020: Technical implementation and adjustments. Faculties and departments will receive information about the project plan and time plan. The support structure is set and the support functions will go through training in Canvas.
- The year-end 2019: Recruitment of Canvas coaches, one for each faculty, who will support their faculties during the launch.
- February 2020: The first pilot groups will receive access to Canvas as well as training.
- May/June 2020: Training in Canvas will open for everyone and we will publish digital guides and manuals.
- May 4, 2020: Canvas opens for all users at Umeå university.
- HT 2021: The last semester for courses in Cambro or Moodle.
- VT 2022: All courses are in Canvas.
Cambro and Moodle
Cambro and Moodle will function as usual and you can create new courses up until the year end 2021. After autumn 2021 you will still be able to log in and retrieve material until the year end 2022. We will examine how we should handle and file the old material from these platforms during 2020 as a part of the Canvas project.
In Canvas you will find course templates available for all teachers at Umeå university. Find the templates in Canvas Commons. The templates are in Swedish.
Link to the course templates in Canvas.