Host an international trainee

It is the student's own responsibility to find a traineeship, which means that the student's themselves contact the department/unit where they want to do a traineeship.

There is no central coordination at Umeå University of incoming students on traineeships. It is the department itself decides whether or not to accept a student on traineeship.


The student's home university pays out an Erasmus scholarship for the traineeship. The amount varies depending on the home country. As a host for a student, you do not have to pay a salary. If the departments want, you can pay a salary combined with the scholarship that the student receives from his home university.

Being a traineeship host

As an traineeship host, you are responsible for:

  • Appointing a supervisor.
  • Arranging a workplace, access card and keys.
  • Ensuring that premises, tools, work methods, handling of hazardous substances meet certain basic requirements from a work environment point of view.
  • Signing documents from the trainee. The documents are provided by the student's home university but needs to be signed by the host university for the student to receive their scholarship.


Incoming trainees are covered by collective insurance for foreign visitors. The insurance is provided by the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Agency (Kammarkollegiet). The insurance applies automatically - no need to make a manual order for an individual person. If the student needs a certificate of the insurance, an HR person or manager can write one.

More information about Insurance for international employees and guests

European students should be asked to bring their European health insurance card, which entitles them to necessary medical and dental care on the same terms and costs as those insured in the country.


The student must arrange housing on his/her own. Please refer to more information at: Housing in Umeå

Residence permit

Residence permit EU/EES citizens

Have the right to stay in Sweden for up to three months.
For trainees who stay for 3–12 months, it is important to ensure that they meet the requirements for staying in Sweden. Trainees are not regarded as workers or students.

Read more about the right of residence on this page. (in Swedish)

For citizens outside the EU/EES

Here you can read more about what applies to residence permits for trainees at a university who are citizens outside the EU/EEA.
Link to the Swedish Migration Agency's website
The processing time at the Swedish Migration Agency for these cases is often several months.

During the traineeship

During the traineeship it is important that the contact information of the trainee is available at the department/the unit, for example the trainee's phone number and postal address in Umeå, in case you need to reach the trainee with short notice. This is especially important if the traineeship runs though the summer, when the department's/unit's regular staff are not always on site.

After the traineeship

When the traineeship is completed, the supervisor might be asked to sign a document called Traineeship Certificate. The student receives this document from his/her home university. It is entirely up to the home university to assess, and credit, any points that the traineeship corresponds to.

Petra Käck