The programme aims to provide active targeted skills and career support to researchers with the aim of becoming successful researchers and scientific leaders at Umeå University.
The programme targets researchers who have a small to medium sized network/research group and want to develop as a research leader. Applicants should have a clear ambition to produce research results with a large impact.
ReaL step 2 is carried out autumn 2023. The application is now closed.
Overall objective of Real step 2
The programme aims to provide active, targeted support to prioritised researchers who are expected to become the successful researchers and scientific leaders of tomorrow at Umeå University. The overall objective of the programme is that the researcher will:
- get support with his/her role as a researcher
- deepen their knowledge about what it is to be a research leader
- develop their communication skills
- develop a greater ability to secure external funding
- deepen their knowledge in how to recruit the right person for the right position
- develop their competence in leading projects, team development, and supervision/coaching
- get support with how to develop their individual career plan as well as how to develop the quality of each respective research project
- deepen their knowledge regarding the University's organisation and the available resources for support
- get support in how to stimulate the development of interdisciplinary contacts as well as national and international collaboration.
Target group for Real step 2
The programme targets researchers who:
- have a small to medium sized network/research group and want to develop as a research leader
- a clear ambition to produce research results with a large impact
- external financing
- experience from other universities and have a good national and/or international network
- teaching experience
- an emerging vision for your research field and have a strategy for your future research and more.
You graduated between 7 to 12 years ago. The level on your research career are in focus and considered more important than your formal position.
Application and selection
Submit your application to your Faculty together with an accompanying CV, a self-evaluation and a short career plan. Your application must be submitted during the application period.
Your Head of Department must sign the application.
ReaL Step 1 - application is open 2 October - 6 November 2023
ReaL Step 2 - application closed
ReaL Step 3 - application opening spring 2025
The selection of participants to the programme is divided into two steps.
- Step 1: Dean of the Faculty evaluates your applications and presents a ranked list of candidates to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Research, Dieter Müller and Katrine Riklund.
- Step 2: They make the final decision to accept participants, after consulting the Dean of the Faculty. The selection is based on two criteria, research competence and leadership experience and potential (see appendix 1).
- 27 September
- 24 – 25 October
- 28 – 29 November
- 16 – 17 January
- 13 – 14 February
- 21 March