The programme aims to provide active targeted skills and career support to researchers with the aim of becoming successful researchers and scientific leaders at Umeå University.
The programme targets researchers who have a small to medium sized network/research group and want to develop as a research leader. Applicants should have a clear ambition to produce research results with a large impact.
Purpose and content
The programme for competence and career support for the University's research leaders aims to provide active, targeted support to prioritised researchers who are expected to become the successful researchers and scientific leaders of tomorrow at Umeå University. The overall objective of the programme is to:
- support the development as a researcher
- develop greater competence in the role of research leader
- develop greater communication skills
- develop greater ability to secure external funding
- develop greater ability to recruit the right person for the right position
- develop greater competence with regard to leading projects, team development, and supervision/coaching
- support the development of the individual career plan as well as developing the quality of each respective research project
- lead to greater knowledge regarding the University's organisation and the support resources that are in place
- stimulate the development of interdisciplinary contacts as well as national and international collaboration
The programme targets persons who have a small to medium sized network/research group and want to develop as a research leader, a clear ambition to produce research results with a large impact, external financing, experience from other universities and have a good national and/or international network, teaching experience, an emerging vision for your research field and have a strategy for your future research and more
You have graduated between 7 to 12 years ago. The level on your research career are in focus and considered more important than your formal position.
Application and selection
The application form is submitted to your Faculty with an accompanying CV, a self-evaluation and a short career plan. Your Head of Department must sign the application.
The selection to accept participants in the programme is made in a two-step process. In the first step the Dean of the Faculty evaluates the applications and presents a ranked list of candidates to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Research, Dieter Müller and Katrine Riklund. They make the final decision to accept participants, after consulting the Dean of the Faculty. The selection is based on two criteria, research competence and leadership experience and potential (see appendix 1).
The programme targets persons who have a small to medium sized network/research group and want to develop as a research leader.
ReaL step 2 is carried out autumn 2023, the application opens spring 2023.
Previous invitation to ReaL Step 2
Programme overview of Step 2