Participants of ReaL step 3, spring 2022.
The research and leadership programme, ReaL, is a competence and career programme for research leaders at Umeå University. The programme is part of the University's efforts to support researchers' skills and career development.
Read more about Step 1 and Step 2.
Objective of ReaL step 3
The overall ambition of the Step 3 programme is to stimulate the further development of innovative and ground-breaking research. The programme will especially focus on
- the strategic development of your own research environment
- your personal development as a leader in general and especially as a research leader.
The programme is designed with 9 modules over a period of one year. Each module is approximately a lunch to lunch seminar, often in a conference setting outside Umeå.
Most of the modules contain visits to different successful research environments. One of the modules contains a study tour to EU funding bodies, and an internationally successful research university.
To every meeting a special resource person will be invited. It can be successful research leaders, relevant experts and specialists, politicians etc.
The learning process is primarily based on collegial sharing of experiences and process oriented, in combination with seminars and lectures as inputs for discussions and for further professional and personal development.
(Planning may be subject to change)
- Module 1a: Introduction 25 February
- Module 1b: Present State - my research 24-25 March
- Module 1c: Present State - my leadership 21 April
- Module 2: Strategies for Funding Research 27-28 May
- Module 3: Organizing and Governing Research 15-16 September (Stockholm KI/SciLifeLab)
- Module 4: Working with Others 20-21 October (Uppsala, SCAS Prel. Inst. For Futures Studies)
- Module 5: Strategies and Visions 18-19 November (Lund MAX IV; ESS; Circle)
- Module 6: Influence and Wider Impact of Research 19-20 January 2022 (Prel. Linköping University)
- Module 7: Internal Work and Dialogues 17 February (Umeå)
- Module 8: International Outlook 21-25 March (Prel. Brussels EU Funding Bodies)
- Module 9: The Future 24 April (Umeå)
Target group for Real step 2
The programme targets a person who is an established research leader and a professor at Umeå University .
You should preferably have graduated more than 10 years ago. You should have at least 10–15 years left of your active research career.
The applicant should also have:
- good experiences in leading research groups/research networks
- produced research results with an international impact
- external research funding
- experience from other universities
- a good national and/or international network
- experience as a research leader and supervisor
- an emerging vision for the research field and have a strategy for future research, career and outreach activities
- experience from work in committees, research foundations, evaluation committees and other administrative tasks
- teaching experience.
To know more about application, selection criteria and the contents of the programme, please download and read the invitation letter.
Invitation to ReaL step 3
ReaL Step 1 - application closed
ReaL Step 2 - application closed
ReaL Step 3 - application opening spring 2025