The research and leadership programme, ReaL, is a competence and career programme for research leaders at Umeå University. The programme is part of the University's efforts to support researchers' skills and career development.
ReaL Step 1 targets researchers in the early stage of the career. The programme provides active targeted skills and career support to researchers with the aim of becoming successful researchers and scientific leaders at Umeå University.
The next ReaL Step 1 programme is planned to start autumn 2022. Application will open in spring 2022.
Purpose and content
The overall objective of the programme is to give young researchers support in the development as a researcher, an increased competence in the role as research leader and developing communication skills. Further the programme contains models with the following content:
- knowledge about external grant funding and recruitment
- learning about project management
- team development
- mentoring and coaching
- developing interdisciplinary contacts and national and international collaborations.
- information about the organisation of the University
- resources for support
You will also formulate your individual career plan with goals that will help you develop your research projects.
Early stage researchers who
- have experience from other research environments, such as a postdoctoral study or equivalent, preferably abroad
- is currently raising his/her own funds with the ambition of securing external financial backing as well as establishing a research network or research group
- have limited experience as a research leader and a supervisor
- have teaching experience
- are currently employed as Assistant Professor/Associate Senior Lecturers, Researchers, Assistant Professor/Research Fellow or newly appointed Associate Professor/Senior Lecturers
- have held a PhD for the last two years, and preferably no longer than six years
Application and selection
The application form is submitted to your Faculty with an accompanying CV and self-evaluation. Your Head of Department must sign the application.
After consulting the Head of Department, the Faculty management take a decision in accordance with the selection process. It focuses primarily your research competence and leadership potential.
Application form and more information will be published in spring 2022.