Links to American federal funding agencies

As a researcher at Umeå university you have the opportunity to apply for funding from several US agencies, such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF).

Most US funding agencies share a common application portal,, where you can find information about funding opportunities and current calls. However, individual researchers may not submit applications via

Due to American rules and regulations, all applications must go through an Authorized Organization Representative (AOR). The AOR for Umeå University works at the Research Support Office. Therefore, it is important that you contact us well in advance if you are interested in applying to, e.g.:

National Institutes of Health (NIH)

The National Institutes of Health consist of 27 institutes and centers. Each of these conducts research and funds external research in a specific medical research field.

Go to the NIH

US Department of Energy (DOE)

The US Department of Energy supports various types of energy research.

Go to the DOE

Department of Defense (DOD)

The Department of Defense funds various research specializations, from medical research to research on weapons systems. The DOD consists of four departments that offer research funding via:

Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)
Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Office of Naval Research (ONR)

National Science Foundation (NSF)

The National Science Foundation supports research in science and technology. It covers ten different research areas, from engineering to education and human resources. 

Go to the NSF

Contact us

If you have any questions or need support, please contact us at



Lena Holmberg