On arrival

Arriving in a new country can be challenging. New routines, unfamiliar rules and situations that might differ from your previous experience. It is of great importance for us that you get a smooth start here and a good introduction at your new workplace.


Your host Department is responsible for arranging your work space, along with an IT account that gives you access to the Internet, e-mail and the University server. 

The Human Resources Office is responsible for the central introductory programme for everybody who is new at the university. More information

Getting settled checklist

Depending on your citizenship, if you come alone or with a family, there are different things to sort out during your first weeks upon arrival. 

1. Register as a citizen in Sweden
As soon as possible after your arrival you should visit the Tax Agency Office and apply for a Swedish ID-number (personnummer). Read more

Important information to EU citizens!

When you submit your application, remember the S1-certificate from your home countrys social insurance agency or certificate of a private insurance that meets the requirements. 

2. Visit the Migration Agency if you need to complete your application and leave your biometrics. See before arrival checklist for information. 

3. Open a bank account
You can visit any bank to opening a bank account. If you have the right to live in Sweden (proven by a valid permit or right of residence) you should be able to open a bank account. Since banks must follow certain rules it happens that those who have not yet received a Swedish id-number (and Swedish id-card) are rejected.

More information about opening a bank account

Getting access to your scholarship without having a Swedish bank account
Scholarships paid by Umeå University can be transferred to a bank account in your home country if you have one. This is not possible for external scholarships since the scholarship is paid directly from the funder to you. The funder decides about the payment routine.
For example; Kempestiftelserna requires that you have a Swedish bank account and do not accept any other account. Since the time for handling your application for an id-number and id-card can take a long time we recommend you to have a plan for you economic situation during the first weeks.

Guidance to opening a bank account

4. Apply for a Swedish ID-card
When you have received your Swedish ID-number you can apply for a Swedish ID-card. You need an ID-card to open a bank account in Sweden with full features. Read more

5. Get a home insurance
As soon as you have your Swedish id number you should contact an insurance company and get a home insurance. This will give you additional protection when travelling and for things in your home. Ask your HR or supervisor for information about insurance companies.

Contact information



Torbjörn Forsberg
HR Strategist
Human Resources Office
📞 090-786 70 80



Rosita Nilsson
HR Strategist
Human Resources Office
📞 090-786 54 69

Rosita Nilsson