Sick leave

If you fall ill, you must stay at home and report sick leave to the university. When sick leave extends beyond 7 and 14 days respectively, special rules and routines apply.

Registering sick leave

When you fall ill, you must notify your place of work straight away and register your sick leave in PASS.

If you fall seriously ill or are admitted to hospital and do not have the opportunity to call in sick, you can do this later.

If your payroll administrator has registered your sick leave, you have to submit an "Declaration in connection with illness" to your payroll administrator.

Sick leave for longer than 7 calendar days

If you are ill for longer than seven calendar days, you need to attach a copy of a doctor's certificate to your sick report in PASS.

If you have not yet received a certificate from a doctor when reporting illness, you can submit it later, by starting a new case in PASS, writing in the message/attachment which period applies and attaching the certificate.

Sick leave for longer than 14 days

If your sick leave extends beyond 14 days, we will notify the Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan).

As of your fifteenth day of illness, your entitlement to sickness benefit will be examined by the Social Insurance Agency, provided that you have submitted a report to the Social Insurance Agency.

The Social Insurance Agency will also require a doctor's certificate with information about your illness or injury in order to approve your application.

Find out more about what to do at the Social Insurance Agency website: Sickness benefit for employees


If you fall ill and need rehabilitation, it is important for these measures to commence as quickly as possible.

If you have been on sick leave for more than four weeks or on more than five occasions over the last 12 months, your manager is obliged to examine what rehabilitation initiatives you require.

In the first instance, your head of department or equivalent must get in touch with you and discuss possible measures. Your participation is important and entirely crucial for good rehabilitation.

Read more on Aurora about rehabilitation work at the university: Rehabilitation


The self-service system PASS is where you register leaves of absence, holidays, overtime/extra time, travel claims, etc. If you are an employee, you can also download your payslip from PASS.

Log in to PASS

Birgitta Berglund