Accompanying family

We have support for your accompanying family. The Dual Career Programme and network have recurring seminars with themes such as studying in sweden and how to look for work.

Right to work or study in Sweden

In order to have a right to be working or studying in Sweden your partner need to have either a residence permit or right of residence as a EU citizen.

When applying for a permit which includes your partner/spouse you need to prove that you have had a relationship before moving here. This can be done with a marriage certificate, documents proving you are in a registered partnership or that you were cohabiting and shared economy prior to the time of you planned stay in Sweden.

Having a residence permit or a right of residence your partner get the same rights as you and can study, work or start his/her own business.

Participating in the Dual Career Programme and network provides information that might be helpful to get started. Dual Career Programme information

Working in Sweden

If your partner has the right to work in Sweden he/she also has the right to be registered and get service from the Swedish Public Employment Service.


Information and registration on the web
Matching, possibly via external "Support and matching" supplier
Programmes for long-term unemployed

Information about support and benefits- learn more

EURES service

EURES is a network of employment services. The objective of the EURES network is to facilitate the free movement of workers in the EEA.

EURES can give your accompanying partner information, support and assistance. "Post recruitment", follow-up and service to accompanying partners.

Unemployment insurance

Unemployment insurance is included in social insurance in most countries. Sweden, Finland and Denmark have systems with full or partial voluntary insurance Learn more.

Unemployment-insured time from EU/EEA/CH can be credited in the working condition when applying for compensation. Swedish rules apply (frame time and worked time).

Jobseeker with certificate U2

Means that, while maintaining unemployment benefits, you can apply for work within the EU/EEA/CH.
Requirements for at least four weeks full unemployment before departure. Dispensation can be granted if the person accompanies spouse/partner who is to work in another Member State.

Max 90 days, but some countries extend by 3 months
The certificate is called PDU2, but is usually called U2 (called before E303 and that term is used in rare cases).

Please contact your local employment office for information, conditions and how to apply.

Application for document U2

Recognition of foreign qualifications

The Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) evaluates foreign qualifications in order to provide support for people looking for work in Sweden, people who wish to continue studying, or for employers who wish to employ someone with foreign qualifications. Learn more

Employment agencies

There are also a few employment agencies in Umeå, for example: Poolia, Manpower, Academic Work Sweden AB, Randstad, Konsultia AB

Learning Swedish

Swedish people are in general happy to speak English, however, it can be difficult to find work without knowing Swedish. Learning Swedish is therefore something we highly recommend.

Ways of learning Swedish

SFI (Swedish for Immigrants)
When you have registered in Sweden and have a Swedish personal number you can attend a six-week introduction programme that includes both instruction in Swedish and integration to work. This is cost free and arranged by Umeå Municipality.

Private Swedish courses at Folkuniversitetet
You book the course yourself and pay a fee. Learn more

Online courses
If you want to get started as soon as possible you can take a free online course at learning Swedish. Learn more

University studies

If you are employed at the university with a valid work- or research permit, or are from an EU country, your accompanying partner might be qualified to study without paying a fee. Find out by contacting the study counsellors. Contact

Starting a business

If you have a business idea that you would like to develop you can contact Uminova Innovation. For information on how they can help to develop your business idea, please visit Uminova Innovation.

Childcare and school

A short explanation of the Swedish education system

Preschool is available for children 1–5 years old. From the age of six, children have the right to start in the preschool class and the majority of six-year-olds do so. Children between ages 7–16 attend compulsory school. Most continue with a three-year upper secondary school leading to a vocational diploma and/or qualifications for further studies. All education provided by the state is free.

Preschools and schools in Umeå

Children between the ages of one and five may attend preschool while their parents/guardians are working, are on parental leave, or are looking for work. It is the municipality or the organiser that decides the cost of a place in preschool. The Education Act states that the fee should be reasonable. Family day-care homes are also available in most of the residential areas in Umeå. The main principle is to get a place as close to the residential area as possible. However, you have the option to choose a specific preschool or childminder.

If your children require preschool, you should apply as soon as possible as the waiting list can be quite long. On the website of Umeå Municipality you will find more information on how to apply.

Students in compulsory school grade 1-9 have the option to begin at one of Umeå Municipality's schools or begin in another school chosen by their guardian. Foreign upper secondary school students are able to go a preparatory programme with language introduction and then continue on a national programme. The preparatory programme is for foreign students aged 16-18 that need to prepare before the continuation of upper secondary school, college or adult education.

Contact the Placement Unit at Umeå Municipality if you have questions about childcare or want to apply for compulsory school.

Preschool, educational care
Phone: 090-16 66 56

Application for compulsory school
Phone: 090- 16 66 50

Their visiting address is Hovrättgatan 3. Their visiting hours are Monday-Friday at 13.00-15.00


In case you need a babysitter you can get in touch with babysitters via an online meeting place called Babysits. Read more

Contact information



Torbjörn Forsberg
HR Strategist
Human Resources Office
📞 090-786 70 80



Rosita Nilsson
HR Strategist
Human Resources Office
📞 090-786 54 69

Rosita Nilsson