Long term resident status in EU

If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EU and have lived continuously in Sweden for five years, you may be granted long-term resident status in Sweden.

To be granted long-term resident status, you must

  • have lived continuously in Sweden for five years
  • have had a residence permit or legal residence in Sweden on other grounds for the previous five years.
  • be able to support yourself and your family.

If you have had a Swedish residence permit for, for example, studies or for a visit, you cannot count this period of time. That is because this type of permit is granted for a limited time, not to those who wish to live in Sweden. It might be possible to count doctoral studies, contact the Migration Agency for more information.

How to apply

You should enclose

  • copies of your passport showing your personal details, signature, period of validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin (read more about what the copies must show)
  • documents which show how you have supported yourself and your family over the previous five years. This can be shown, for example, with certificates of employment, statements of your declared income, certificates showing your pension or evidence of the assets you have in the bank.
  • documents showing your accommodation costs, for example, rental contracts, purchase contracts and statements showing your monthly accommodation costs.
Jannike Hurenkamp