Dual Career and spouse support

The Dual Career and spouse support is aimed for accompanying partners or spouses to employees and scholarshop holders at Umeå University.

The Dual Career programme contains various themes for example how to find jobs in Umeå and Sweden, how to apply for a full time course at the university and how to start your own business.

You are welcome to take part in the activities that you find interesting. In addition to seminars, webinars, there is also a network where you can meet other accompanying partners


22 October 13:00 - 13:30

Job Search and Career Counselling

A digital seminar by Annika Sund, career counselling consultant at the Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlningen).

You will get to know more about the Swedish Labour Market, how to write a cover letter and CV the "Swedish way" and also information about her support and service to you as a job seeker​.

Sign up no later than 22 October 12:00. A link to the Teams meeting will be sent to the e-mail address you have entered in the registration.

Sign up here


Webinar about the Swedish labour market

Lecturer: Thomas Engel, EURES-adviser at Arbetsförmedlingen, the Swedish Public Employment Service.

Do you consider pursuing a career in Sweden and wish to gain insights on the Swedish labour market? If yes, join us for this webinar as you will get an overview of:
• The main sectors, which ones have shortages or surpluses, the role of employers' organisations and trade unions, labour law.
• The working conditions, including contracts, salary, working hours, social codes at work.
• What you should take into account when looking for work, how to find employers and vacancies, how to approach employers, which application documents you must have.

The webinar is open to everybody, employees, stipends and accompanying partners.

Sign up to the date of your choice.

  • Wednesday, 4th November 4 – time: 12:00 to 13:00
  • Thursday, 12th November – time: 17:00 to 18:00

Sign up HERE no later than 2 November. A Zoom link will be sent to all who have registered the day prior to the webinar.

The webinar is organized by the University of Gothenburg in collaboration with EURES. The webinar will be open for participants from other universities within the Swedish EURAXESS network.

Dual Career Network

If you are interested in joining the Dual Career Network and get in contact with other accompanying partners and spouses join the Facebook group "Dual Career Network at Umeå University"

Your rights for working or studying in Sweden

In order to have a right to be working or studying in Sweden you need to have either a residence permit or right of residence as a EU citizen.

If you are a non EU citizen you are entitled to receive a residence permit if you are married to, have entered into a registered partnership with, or are the cohabiting partner of someone who lives in Sweden.

When you have either a residence permit or a right of residence you also have the same rights in Sweden as your partner working here. You can study, work or start your own business.

Learning Swedish

Swedish people are in general happy to speak English, however, it can be difficult to find work without knowing Swedish. Learning Swedish is therefore something we highly recommend.

Ways of learning Swedish

  • SFI (Swedish for Immigrants)
    When you have registered in Sweden and have a personal number you can attend a six-week introduction programme that includes both instruction in Swedish and integration work. This is cost free and arranged by Umeå Muncipality. Learn more
  • Group courses at Folkuniversitetet.
    You book the course yourself and pay a fee. Learn more
  • Online courses.
    If you want to get started as soon as possible you can take a free online course at learning Swedish. Learn more

University studies

As an accompanying partner with a residence permit or an EU citizen you have the possibility to study for free at the university. More information and how to apply, please contact the Study Guidance.


Everyone who has the right to work in Sweden also has the right to be registered and get service from the Swedish Public Employment Service.


  • Information and registration on the web
  • Matching, possibly via external "Support and matching" supplier
  • Programmes for long-term unemployed

Information about support and benefits- learn more

EURES service

EURES is a network of employment services The objective of the EURES network is to facilitate the free movement of workers in the EEA.

EURES can give you as accompanying partner information, support and assistance. "Post recruitment", follow-up and service to accompanying partners

Unemployment insurance

Unemployment insurance is included in social insurance in most countries. Sweden, Finland and Denmark have systems with full or partial voluntary insurance Learn more.

Unemployment-insured time from EU/EEA/CH can be credited in the working condition when applying for compensation. Swedish rules apply (frame time and worked time).

Jobseeker with certificate U2

Means that, while maintaining unemployment benefits, you can apply for work within the EU/EEA/CH.
Requirements for at least four weeks full unemployment before departure. Dispensation can be granted if the person accompanies spouse/partner who is to work in another Member State.

Max 90 days, but some countries extend by 3 months
The certificate is called PDU2, but is usually called U2 (called before E303 and that term is used in rare cases).

Please contact your local employment office for information, conditions and how to apply.

Application for document U2

Recognition of foreign qualifications

The Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) evaluates foreign qualifications in order to provide support for people looking for work in Sweden, people who wish to continue studying, or for employers who wish to employ someone with foreign qualifications. Learn more

Employment agencies

There are also a few employment agencies in Umeå, for example: Poolia, Manpower, Academic Work Sweden AB, Randstad, Konsultia AB

Starting a company

If you have a business idea that you would like to develop you can contact Uminova Innovation. For information on how they can help to develop your business idea, please visit Uminova Innovation.

Child care

If you have smaller children you might need to stay home on parental leave. As soon as you are enrolled in the Swedish pupulation register and have got a personal number you can contact the Social Insurance company to apply for parental benifit.

Related information

The European Job Mobility Portal

Swedish Public Employment Service

EURES Eures advisor in Umeå Annika Sund
International recruitment

Rosita Nilsson