Frequently asked questions

Here are the answers to some of the frequently asked questions.

If you can't find the answer to one of yor questions you are welcome to send an e-mail to International Staff Support.

How do I get my Umu card?

Read more about what an UmU card is and how to get it here

How many vacation days do I have?

How many vacation days you have depend on your age and what kind of employment you have.

Read more about your vacation days and other kinds of leave.

If you have a fellowship you are

How do I apply for leave?

You apply for leave in PASS. Read more about leave of absence here.

If you are here as a researcher with a fellowship

I want to know more about my working hours

The terms of your working hours vary depending on your position. There is an agreement for you as a T/A employee and another agreement for you as a teacher. 

Read more about your working hours here.

What do I do if I fall ill?

When you fall ill, you must notify your place of work straight away and register your sick leave in PASS. Read more about sick leave here.

When can I contact the occupational healthcare?

The university's occupational health care service is called Feelgood. Here, you can receive free counselling and examinations, for example, or participate in group activities. You do not need any approval from your manager or supervisor to contact or visit the occupational health care service.

Read more.

Where can I park my car?

To get a reduced price for parking you need a parking sticker or parking permit that must be visibly placed inside your windshield together with a ticket that is bought at a ticket machine. You can also pay with your cellphone throug the Parkster app or by text.

A parking sticker or parking permit for employees at Umeå university can be ordered through Infocenter.

Read more about where to park here (information in Swedish)

I'm called to a meeting but don't know the way to the meeting room. How can I find the way?

There is an interactive map of Umeå university's different campuses. Write what you're looking for and it will be shown on the map.

Open the map.

Can I get glasses for work?

If you need glasses for work, please contact the occupational healthcare, Feelgood. They will provide you with a referral for glasses at one of the opticians the university has an agreement with.

Read more.

How does the fitness reimbursement work?

As of 1 September 2018, Umeå University is offering a fitness reimbursement to all employees.

Read more about the fitness reimbursement.

If you are here as a researcher with a fellowship you are not entitled the same benifits as an employee. Ask your HR-administrator about what benefits you are entitled to.

When will I recieve my salaray each month?

Your salary will be paid on the 25th of each month, with a few exceptions.

Read more about payment of salaries.

My computer is not working, who should I contact?

Contact Servicedesk (ITS) that provides IT-support for  employees and students at Umeå university. You can submit at ticket and create a new request via their website, you can call them at 090-786 63 00 or you can visit ITS located in the MIT building. Opening hours are Monday - Friday 8:30 to 16:30

How do I get my e-mail address?

Your e-mail account will be created automatically - normally within 24 hours - when you are hired or affiliated at a deparment or unit and an UmU id is created.

Read more about e-mail.