Register in Sweden

The Tax Agency issues personal identity- and coordination numbers, birth certificates and identity cards. They are also responsible for collecting the country’s taxes and its population register.

Register in Sweden

If you are staying in Sweden for one year or more, you should normally be registered in the Swedish Population Register and receive a Swedish personal identity number. There is a connection between the personal identity number and access to health care. 

It is possible to have the right to reside in Sweden, without a personal identity number. The coordination number is an identifier for individuals who will not be registered with the Swedish Populations Register. The coordination number can be used as a mean of identification when communicating with various government authorities.

Do you want to know more about personal identity number vs coordination number, visit the Tax Agency´s webpage

Tax Agency

The Swedish Population Register is administrated by the Swedish Tax Agency, Skatteverket. There is lots of useful information at the Tax Agency website for example films about the Swedish population register, how to register to get a Swedish Id number and an id card etc.

Information about moving to Sweden
Swedish Tax Agency website
Address: Sveavägen 12 MAP

Staying one year or longer

Swedish personal identity number (personnummer)

As soon as you have arrived in Sweden you should visit the Tax Agency´s office and apply for a Swedish personal identity number. If you have accompanying family members you must visit the office together. Depending on your citizenship and if you are alone or with an accompanying family there are specific documents you need to bring with you.


The Swedish Tax Agency assesses whether you can be registered in the population registry. To do so, they take two things into account:

1. If you are staying one year or more

2. If you have the right of residence

Right of residence for EU citizens
As an EU citizen, you have the right of residence if you are employed and work in Sweden. If you have a scholarship you are not employed at the university and regarded to be self sufficient. When you apply for a Swedish id number you must prove that you have sufficient resources to support yourself and also have a comprehensive health insurance valid for one year in Sween. The health-insurance criterion can be met through an S1-form, which shows that you are covered by an EU country´s social security system. Contact the social insurance company in your home country for help. It is possible to get a private insurance as long as it meet the requirements. After you have recieved a Swedish id number you must keep the insurance during the whole year, so do not terminate it.

It is very important that you have the necessary documents for the insurance before you visit the Tax office to submit your application. Tax Agency webpage - More information

Right of residence for non EU citizens
As a citizen from a country outside EU/EEA you obtain the right of residence by having a valid work premit or residence permit.

Documentation to bring with you
The required documents to bring to the service office depend on your citizenship or if you move with or move in with a family member.
More information

Staying less than 1 year

Coordination number (samordningsnummer)

If you are staying less than one year you will receive a coordination number. A coordination number is an identifier for individuals who are not registered in the Swedish Population Register. The Salary Administration at Umeå University will apply for the coordination number for you and you do not have to visit the Tax Agency´s office. Contact your HR at the department for help.

Contact information

International Staff Support
Office of Human Resource
Administration building

Rosita Nilsson 

Torbjörn Forsberg

Send an e-mail to
International Staff Support

Rosita Nilsson