Business travel

Business travel is important in building upon and retaining national and international contacts as well as gaining new knowledge. Our business travels are regulated in our collective agreements, the University travel policy, the Income Tax Act and procured agreements.

As an employee, you are responsible to plan your business travels in accordance with the laws and agreements that Umeå University is regulated by.

Environmental aspects

The University travel policy emphasises that environmental aspects should be taken into account when choosing means of transportation, and that public transportation is often the best alternative both from a safety and environmental aspect.

In some cases, a digital or online meeting may be a sufficient substitute for a physical meeting involving travels. Read more about virtual meetings under Related information.

Travel agent

The University has a procured travel agent through which travels and hotel bookings must go through. This goes for both domestic and international travels. Read more on XLNT Travel.

Travels should be booked as far in advance as possible to get a low price on tickets, hotels and taxi fares. When booking your travels through our travel agent, a travel insurance is also included and the agent can help you find alternative solutions in case of delays or strikes. Also, it gives the University more efficient administrative routines and the chance to run follow ups.


Taxi travels can be booken in two ways. Either through the taxi company Flygtaxi – for all types of taxi journeys. Or via XLNT Travel – for taxi journeys in conjunction with a bus, train or flight journey.

If you have any problems booking your taxi or other connecting travels through the self-service system, you can turn to the travel agency by email or phone for assistance. To ensure that you do not have to pay any additional fees, you should add ground transport on the same or the following day as you made your web booking. The recommendation is to book a shared taxi as it is cheaper and better for the environment than a personal one.


Train tickets are booked through XLNT Travel. If you have previously booked through the SJ e-booking system, you can now do the same through the travel agency's self-service system.

Rental cars

If you need to make a business travel by car, first and foremost use a rental car. When booking a rental car, you must use one of the University's procured car rental companies. The agreement includes suppliers of rental cars, mini buses or light-duty trucks up to 3.5 tonnes. Read more on the page Book rental car.

Other travels

Other ground transport such as ArlandaExpress or regular bus tickets should also be booked through XLNT Travel.


Got questions about your travels?

If you want help booking a trip or a hotel, please contact XLNT Travel.

If you have questions regarding reimbursements of travel expenses, please contact Torbjörn Carlsson.

If you have questions regarding our framework agreement contact Public Procurement and Purchase.

cancellation insurance

Umeå university has a cancellation insurance when a trip is cancelled because of sudden illness, an accident or death. The cost of the travel must exceed SEK 1,000 for the cancellation insurance to come into effect.

Form for application to the cancellation insurance (in Swedish)