Why are email accounts moving to Office 365?
A decision from the Vice-Chancellor has stated that Umeå University is to implement Microsoft Office 365 as the primary platform for collaborations, communication, and email.
What does moving emails mean?
The existing email environment is kept on the University's servers at the ITS data centres. Email accounts will now be moving to the Office 365 cloud service.
As a user, you will not experience any major differences in Outlook's functionality and interface. However, the webmail service will look different and can be accessed via o365.umu.se.
Will I lose my emails during the move?
No, you will not lose any emails and you can continue working with Outlook as normal during the move.
Do I have to use Outlook as my email client?
Yes, we recommend that you use Outlook as your email client. This is the email service the University offers support for.
Does this affect me if I don't use Outlook as my email client?
If you have not previously used Outlook as your email client, we recommend you start doing so. This is the email service the University offers support for.
How does Outlook work for me with Linux
You can read your email via webmail. Go to o365.umu.se and log in with your Umu-ID. On the left in the menu click on Outlook.
Will my calendar also be moved?
Yes, your calendar will be moved. You will not lose any information during the move.
Do I need to do anything to ensure the move can take place?
You need to:
- Ensure your PC is running either Windows 10 or 11. Mac users will need either Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey.
- Have the latest version of Office 365. It can be downloaded via the Software Center (PC) or o365.umu.se.
- Activate multi-factor authentication (MFA).
Read the information and complete the form on the page to start your move
When will my move take place?
The move schedule will be released shortly.
If you do not wish to wait until your department, office or equivalent carries out the move, you can move your email account now.
Read the information and complete the form to start your move
What will I gain from the move?
- Your email inbox will have more storage.
- The latest email and Office functions are always accessible.
- Full functionality and seamless links to the various Office 365 services.
- Access to Microsoft ToDo – a digital to-do list available as a smartphone app, online or integrated into Teams, Planner, and Outlook.
- Access to Microsoft Bookings – digital booking site that users set up themselves by including services and times. Integrated Outlook calendar.
- New Outlook online app that can be accessed directly from the Office portal (o365.umu.se).
- Extended antivirus filters with increased safety and more protection against harmful code and information leaks.
Can I use my email as normal after the move?
Yes, and it will work the same way as before.
If you have a PC with the latest version of Office, your Outlook desktop app will update automatically. You may need to log in to Outlook again.
If you are a Mac user, you will need to change certain settings to set up Outlook.
You will need to download and use the Outlook app to read your email on your phone.
Learn what you need to know about the move