Zoom is a service for digital meetings and a tool for web-based distance learning. Zoom is accessible for everyone with a Umu-id and is a good, digital alternative to classroom teaching.
Students and employees can host their own meetings and invite participants via their own personal meeting links. Each Zoom meeting can take up to 300 participants.
Zoom meetings are suitable for online lectures, seminars and group assignments, for instance. Zoom can also be used for digital meetings between people or groups outside of Umeå University.
• Quick polls
• Screen sharing
• Beehives during a meeting (so-called breakout rooms)
• Webinars (additional order is necessary)
• Zoom Room (additional order is necessary)
• You cannot make regular phone calls using Zoom.
Instructions – how to get started
Go to https://umu.zoom.us
Log in using your Umu-id.
Done! You have now created an account and you can start and join meetings.
You can join a Zoom meeting directly from a web browser, but the recommendation for a more stable meeting is to download the app on your computer or device. A guide is available in our manuals.
Manuals are available on:
This is required
To use Zoom fully, each participant needs:
• a computer, tablet or smartphone
• a good and stable internet connection
• a webcam
• a headset or conference microphone
Recommendations for a successful Zoom meeting
• Make sure you are as prepared as possible before the meeting. Have all material ready. Are you sharing a screen? Have a PowerPoint, video or web page ready.
• Are you meeting with participants around the world? Consider what time it is at their end when choosing the time of the meeting.
• Be clear when instructing the participants/students about what will take place during the meeting and what is expected of them. Having participants who are prepared is the key to a successful meeting. Send the instructions via email a couple of days before the meeting and/or with links to online guides.
• Is the meeting/seminar being recorded? Notify the participants of this before the meeting and remind them again when the meeting starts.
• For all digital meetings, we recommend that you use a headset with a USB connection and a web camera.
• Use a stable internet connection (preferably a LAN cable instead of WiFi). Remind your participants of this in advance.
• Choose a quiet environment.
Do you need to book a room?
You can hold a digital meeting through Zoom at your own desk, but you can also book a room with a screen, microphone and camera. Book a room through our booking system TimeEdit. Log in using your Umu-id.