As an employee, you should have a good visual ergonomic work environment. Your work environment should be designed from an overall perspective, taking into account the light environment, technical equipment, the workspace and the organisation of work.
If you need glasses for work, please contact the occupational healthcare services. They will provide you with a referral for glasses at one of the opticians the University has an agreement with. The current agreement is valid from 1 April 2019 until 2 april 2021.
Policy for visual support
The policy for visual support at Umeå University states that visual aid support can include
- additional lighting fixtures
- magnifying glasses
- glasses or protective glasses specific for the work in question when normal glasses cannot be worn.
The routines for assessing an employee's need for aids to vision
- Employees who work in front of a computer screen at least one hour per working day should be granted the opportunity for an eye examination through the occupation healthcare services.
- If the employee in general experiences difficulties that may be related to the vision requirements of the job, the head of department or other head of office, should refer the employee to contact the occupational healthcare services.
- The occupational healthcare services assess the vision requirements of the job and other factors relating to the work environment that may contribute to good visual ergonomics.
- If the occupational healthcare services assess the need for specific work glasses, the employee receives a referral for a full eye examination at one of the opticians the University has an agreement with. An order form is attached with the referral and needs to be signed by the head of department or equivalent before the employee goes to the optician.
- If the employee would like work glasses with functions and shapes that are not covered by the agreement, the employee will have to cover the additional costs. Work glasses are working tools and remain the employer's possession and should hence be stored at the workplace. This is still the case even if the employee has covered parts of the costs personally.
- The department in question is responsible for covering the cost of visual aids in accordance with this policy.
The above text is a summary of the Swedish policy and has been translated from Swedish into English. If the English version differs from the original, the Swedish version takes precedence. Swedish original: Policy för synhjälpmedel.
Information about suppliers, prices and agreement conditions can be found in the agreement database under "kategori" Personal, "varugrupp" Glasögon.