Insurance coverage

The Swedish insurance system consists of different parts. Depending on your individual situation you may be covered by all or some parts. The length of your stay and your assignment here determine your insurance.

Insurance coverage in Sweden

  • Insurance provided by Umeå University
    You are insured during working hours and business trips (via Umeå University) but need to take out a private insurance for your leisure time.
  • Access to medical and health insurance
    With a Swedish personal identity number you get access to the Swedish medical and health insurance.
    If your stay is less than one year you need a private health insurance or a EHIC-card.
  • Access to social insurance
    Social benefits are based on whether you live or work in Sweden. Even if you do not have a personal id number, you still may have access to some benefits.

Insurance provided by Umeå University

For employees:

  • Health insurance
  • Work Injury Insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Business travel insurance
  • Occupational pension

Read more

For guests and scholarship holders:

  • Insurance for foreign visitors
  • Business travel insurance

Read more

Access to health care in Sweden

In order to get access to the healthcare system in Sweden you must be registered as a citizen in Sweden and receive a Swedish personal identity number. Then you will pay reduced fees when visiting the doctor.
Register in Sweden

Staying less than a year
If you are from a country outside EU and plan to stay shorter time than one year in Sweden you will pay the full fee when visiting the doctor but can apply for reimbursement from the insurance via Umeå University.

If you are from an EU/EEA and plan to stay less than one year in Sweden you should to bring with you the European Health Insurance Card. The card certifies that you are covered by social insurance in another EU country and you will then pay a reduced fee for medical care.

* Please note that there are special requirements for EU citizens on scholarship when applying for a Swedish personal identity number Read more

Swedish social insurance

Social insurance generally includes everyone who lives or works in Sweden. Social insurance should provide financial security during the various stages of life. Social insurance therefore includes insurance and contributions to families with children, to the sick, to people with disabilities and to the elderly.

The Social Insurance Office (Försäkringskassan) administers social insurance and ensures that citizens receive the compensation and contributions they are entitled to.

Social insurance is divided into three levels and your time and assignments here determine what applies to you.

1. Benefits based on living in Sweden
- You are registered in the population and have a Swedish identity number (Scholarship holders)

2. Benefits based on working in Sweden
- You have a Swedish identity number or a coordination number and are employed

3. Benefits based on circumstances other than living or working in Sweden

More information about working based and living based benefits from Försäkringskassan
Learn more

Provide information to Försäkringskassan

When you have moved to Sweden you should submit your details to Försäkringskassan and they will assess whether you are considered as residing or working in Sweden.

Fill out form 5456 and send it to Försäkringskassan.
Learn more


This is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country.

To be eligible for a card, you must be insured by or covered by a state social security system in any Member State of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

People from non-EU countries who are legally residing in the EU and are covered by a state social security scheme are also eligible for a card. However, nationals from non-EU countries cannot use their EHIC for medical treatment in Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

After you have been sucessfully registered as living in Sweden and recieved a 10-digit Swedish personal identity number you can order an European Health Insurance Card, EHIC-card.
Order a EHIC-card

If you become acutely sick while abroad but do not have your EHIC with you can contact us at +46 771-524 524 or for a provisional replacement certificate. You or your care provider must provide your Swedish personal identity number.

Försäkringskassans information about EU-card
Learn more

Contact information

International Staff Support
Office of Human Resource
Administration building

Rosita Nilsson 

Torbjörn Forsberg

Send an e-mail to
International Staff Support

Rosita Nilsson