During 2022, Umeå University will be moving email services currently using Microsoft Exchange to the Microsoft Office 365 cloud service.
Umeå University has been using Microsoft Exchange for its employee email services since 2009. After a thorough assessment, it has now been decided that email services will be moved to the Microsoft Office 365 cloud service. This will take place during 2022.
Good to know before moving your email
You need the latest version of Office 365. It can be downloaded from the Software Center (PC) or o365.umu.se.
We recommend using multi-factor authentication (MFA).
More information about multi-factor authentication
How it works
There are several stages involved in moving your email account.
- First, the system makes a copy of your emails and your calendar.
- The copy is moved to Office 365.
- Once the transfer is complete, the system will move your inbox.
- The system will then make the final changes and transfer all settings over to Office 365.
- The move is then complete.
The time this will take depends on the size of your inbox and how many copies are ongoing at the same time. You will not notice anything while the system is making the copies and you can continue to use Outlook as normal
Advantages of moving email accounts to Office 365
- Increased inbox size
- Instant access to the latest email and Office functions
- Full functionality and seamless links to the various Office 365 services
- Access to Microsoft ToDo – a digital to-do list available as a smartphone app, online or integrated into Teams, Planner, and Outlook.
- Access to Microsoft Bookings – digital booking site.
- New Outlook online app that can be accessed directly from the Office portal (o365.umu.se)
- Extended antivirus filters with increased safety and more protection against harmful code and information leaks