Your work environment should be designed based on a holistic approach that takes into consideration ergonomics, lighting environment, technical equipment, safety and the organisation of your work. Your visual ergonomic work environment is an important part of this.
From 3 April 2023, Umeå University has a new framework agreement for work glasses with Synsam AB.
Before ordering glasses
If you have problems that may be related to vision requirements at work, such as headache, neck ache or shoulder pain, or need personal safety glasses – contact the occupational health service before ordering.
If necessary, the occupational health service will visit your workplace and assess your needs and examine other work environment factors that can contribute to a good visual ergonomic and safe work environment.
How to order glasses for work
To book an eye examination and order computer glasses or safety glasses - visit Synsam's booking/ordering service online. Log in with your Umu-id in the upper right corner to read more about how to order.
An invoice is sent to your department
Your department or office will be invoiced for the cost if you choose glasses from the basic range. If you want to order a more expensive frame and lense, you need to pay the difference yourself.
More information about computer glasses and safety glasses can be found in the policy for visual aid (Swedish only). Information about procured suppliers can be found in the contract catalogue (E-avrop).
Frequently asked questions about glasses for work
I have a temporary employment at Umeå University, can I order computer glasses?
Yes, all employees at Umeå University who work at a monitor for at least one hour per day have the right to an eye examination, and if necessary monitor glasses. This applies to both permanent employees and employees with fixed-term employment.
This benefit is regulated in the University's policy for visual aid (Swedish only). The rule, in turn, is based on, among other things, the Swedish Work Environment Agency's regulation Work with monitors (AFS 1998:5) (Swedish only).
What do I do if Synsam is not available where I live?
If Synsam is not available in your area, you can choose Specsavers instead. When ordering glasses at Specsavers, do the following:
- Fill out the order form for eye examination, computer glasses and safety glasses.
- Send the form to email@example.com.
- Specsavers will send out a confirmation within five working days. After that, you can book an appointment for an eye examination in the store in question.
- When you go for your eye examination, bring the confirmation from Specsavers and show the confirmation, either in print or digitally.
In case of special needs for special glasses, which Synsam or Specsavers cannot provide, you need a certificate from an eye specialist, and you need to consult your manager before ordering.
I don't have a Swedish personal identity number - how can I order monitor glasses/safety glasses?
If you don't have a Swedish personal identity number:
- Fill in the Synsam form for requisiton (Swedish only)
- Instead of a Swedish personal identity number, fill in your Swedish coordination number.
- Your manager needs to sign your requisition. The requisition is valid two months from the date of signature.
- Contact your closest Synsam store to book an eye examination.
- Bring your requisition and your ID to your eye examination.