As a government employee, you are covered by a number of insurances that can provide you with compensation for work injury, illness and unforeseen events on your business trip.

Your overall insurance coverage in Sweden

The insurance system in Sweden consists of social insurance, the employer's insurance and private insurances.

Social insurance system

If you work or live in Sweden, you might already be covered by the Swedish social insurance system. The Social security Agency "Försäkringskassan"  determines if you are eligible for a social benefit and handles allowances and benefits for families with children, persons who are ill and persons with disabilities. To be eligible for financial support, you must fulfil certain criteria, such as employment or residency in Sweden. 

Introduction to the Swedish social insurance and Försäkringskassan

Information about the social insurance system

Insurance by the employer 

Umeå University has insurance for employees, guests, postdoctoral scholarship holders and posted workers, among others. You are insured during working hours and business trips made on the behalf of Umeå University, but need to take out a private insurance for your leisure time. 

Follow the links to read more about the different insurances. 

Insurance for staff

Staff at Umeå University has a variety of insurance.

Read more about insurance for staff

Insurance for guests and scholarship holders (non-employed)

Additional information for new employees and scholarship holders

The length of your stay, your assignment and your citizenship determines if you will get full access to health care or not in Sweden.

Staying longer than 1 year

In order to get access to the healthcare system (reduced fees) in Sweden you must be registered as a citizen in Sweden and receive a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer). The Swedish Tax Agency manages the civil registration. They assess whether you can be registered in the population registry based on:

1. If you are staying one year or more

2. If you have the right of residence (EU-citizens) or a permit to study, research or work in Sweden (non EU-citizens)

NOTE THAT - Post Docs with a scholarship (not employed) need a S1- certificate or similar proving there is a private health insurance with full coverage. An EHIC card does not meet the requirements or does Kammarkollegiets "Insurance for foreign visitors". 

If you get a Swedish id-number you will pay the same reduced fees as Swedes when you need medical treatment.

Staying shorter than 1 year

If you are a citizen from a non EU-country and the length of your stay is less than one year you must pay full fee when visiting the doctor. Depending on the situation it might be able to get reimbursement from one of the insurances by Umeå University. 

If you are from an EU-country and the length of your stay is less than one year in Sweden you should to bring a EHIC card. The card certifies that you are covered by social insurance in another EU country and you will then pay reduced fees for medical care.

How to register for social benefits

Social insurance is divided into three levels and your time and assignments in Sweden determine what applies to you.

1. Benefits based on living in Sweden
- You are registered in the population and have a Swedish identity number (Scholarship holders)

2. Benefits based on working in Sweden
- You have a Swedish identity number or a coordination number and are employed

3. Benefits based on circumstances other than living or working in Sweden

Information about working based and living based benefits Försäkringskassan

Provide information to Försäkringskassan

If you move to Sweden and will not be registered as a citizen you should submit your details to Försäkringskassan and they will assess whether you are considered as residing or working in Sweden.

Fill out form 5456 and send it to Försäkringskassan. More information about how to register your details.

How to get an EHIC card (EU card)

When travelling on a business trip within EU you should bring with you an European Health Insurance Card (EU card).

This is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country.

To be eligible for a card, you must be insured by or covered by a state social security system in any Member State of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

People from non-EU countries who are legally residing in the EU and are covered by a state social security scheme are also eligible for a card. However, nationals from non-EU countries cannot use their EHIC card for medical treatment in Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

After you have been successfully registered as living in Sweden and received a 10-digit Swedish personal identity number you can apply for an European Health Insurance Card, EHIC card.

If you become acutely sick while abroad but do not have your EHIC card with you, contact Försäkringskassan at +46 771-524 524 or for a provisional replacement certificate. You or your care provider must provide your Swedish personal identity number.

Försäkringskassans information about EHIC card (EU card)
Learn more

European Commission information about EHIC card (EU card) Learn more

Occupational injury and incident

If you are injured at work or experience that an event is risky it is important that you notify your manager. There are also some other things to consider.

Rosita Nilsson