Support during applications to American funders (pre-award)

Since central management is required by the US federal funding agencies, all applications must go through us at the Research Support Office. This applies both if you are a principal investigator or a partner. Therefore, it is important that you contact us well in advance of the deadline.

We at the Research Support Office can help you with:

Feedback on your application

We have extensive experience of providing feedback on all parts of research applications, whether directed to a major or minor funder.

Do you want feedback?

  • Send your application to our shared mailbox:, and one of our research coordinators will get back to you.
  • Contact us for a personal meeting via
  • Participate in our seminars and workshops.

    In addition to a specific seminar on applying for funding from American federal funders, we offer various courses on how to improve your application, depending on what you need help with.

Certificates and letter of support

In cases where the Vice-Chancellor's signature is required for certificates and letters of support, we organize this.

Budget support

The budget support regarding US funding bodies is available at the departments, so primarily contact your financial administrator. 

He or she can then, if needed, consult us at the Research Support Office. When it comes to US funding, there are often special routines for financial and non-financial compliance that differ from Swedish funding.


Before you can proceed, your Head of Department must be notified and approve that your application is submitted by signing a Certificate from the Head of the Department (prefektintyg). This is important, since your department will be responsible for any co-financing and indirect costs. The Head of Department hereby also certifies that you, as head researcher, actually have the time and resources to complete the project.

Download the Certificate from the Head of the Department template 

Click here to access all documents and templates

Tips on useful tools and organizational information

  • Duns number
    Umeå University's international organization number is: 350582144.
  • EIN
    Our Employer Identification Number, EIN, is: 98-1097431.
  • UEID
    Unique Entity ID is the official identifier for doing business with the U.S. Government. Umeå university's UEID is G8Y8LFCUPJ7.
  • is a portal website that allows organizations to search and apply for American federal funding opportunities. It currently handles the grant application submissions for most federal agencies, including the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, and many others. 

    Please note that you must read the description of individual calls to find out if they are open to international applicants. If you need assistance in interpreting the call texts, we at the Research Support Office will be happy to help you.
    Go to
  • eRA and eRA Commons
    In order to access, you will need a user account for the NIH-based eRA Commons. Electronic Research Administration (eRA) is a US electronic application system for registering applicants. We can help you as a researcher to navigate eRA systems during the application and project period.

    Questions? Please contact
  • Research Professional
    With the help of the online database Research Professional, you can search for calls that suit your research area and your interests. Here you will find thousands of funding opportunities from research funders around the world. 

    We at the Research Support Office offer brief introductions to Research Professional for interested departments and/or groups of researchers.
    Go to Research Professional

Submitting your application

Applications to most American funders must be submitted via by an authorized organization representative, AOR. The AOR is responsible for ensuring that the submitted applications comply with applicable federal laws and regulations. Umeå University's AOR works at the Research Support Office.

The electronic validation at and receiving funders can take several days, sometimes longer. In addition, we know from experience that requirements for corrections or additions are more or less standard for these applications. 

As any errors must be rectified and a corrected version submitted before the closing date for applications, it is important that you contact us well in advance if you plan to apply for research funding from a US agency. This enables us to help you in the best way.

Contact the research support office

Shared mailbox

General support

Agneta H. Plamboeck
EU expert & head of operations
Phone: +46 90 786 56 61
Mobile: +46 73 083 00 76

Financial advisors

Sofia Granberg
Phone: +46 90 786 97 60

Maria Königsson
Phone: +46 90 786 89 42


The Application Submission System & Interface for Submission Tracking, ASSIST, can be used to prepare and submit grant applications electronically to NIH and other Public Health Service agencies.

Read more about ASSIST is a database of privately and publicly funded clinical studies conducted around the world. Here, you can both submit your own results and search for other studies and publications.

To obtain a ClincalTrials user account, please contact us at the Research Support Office.

Go to


Lena Holmberg