Reporting a problem on premises

Who you should contact to report a problem with premises depends on what the fault is and in which building it has occurred.

Problems concerning

  • heating
  • ventilation
  • lighting (not special workplace lighting or the replacement of bulbs or fluorescent tubes)
  • water and sewage
  • refuse collection from recycling rooms
  • external or internal maintenance
  • snow clearance and gritting

should be reported to the property owner, Akademiska Hus

Make a maintenance request to Akademiska Hus.

In case of emergency, you can call +46 (0)10-557 24 00.

This applies to most buildings on campus. If the fault has occurred in a building on Umeå Arts Campus or on Västerbotten County Council premises, the problem should instead be reported using these contact details:

Reporting a problem on Umeå Arts Campus or Knowledge Building premises

Reporting a problem on Västerbotten County Council premises

Card readers, locks or keys

Problem with card readers, locks or keys should be reported to the Campus Services Office in your building (select building under unit). 

KBC Building, Technology Building, Physics Building, UB and UCCB have their own service offices where you report problems with card readers, locks or keys.

Report other problems to Infocenter

All problems other than those listed further up on this page can be reported to Infocenter.

Contact infocenter

Tel: +46 90-786 50 00
Contact form

Use Ctrl to select multiple files. Cancel in the file dialog clears the selection.
Attached file size cannot exceed 5 MB.
Frida Fjellström