There are many benefits to having a client-managed computer. Important settings and software are already in the computer and there is a routine for software updates, installations and virus protection. In 2023, a new client management system will be introduced for all employees at Umeå University.
This is client management
Client management is a method to create a safer and more updated IT environment for all employees at Umeå University. The service is provided by ITS and helps you as a user to work on your computer without having to think about security settings and updates, management of hardware, operating systems, software, drivers and licenses.
There are many advantages to a client-managed computer:
- Get started quickly: A client-managed computer comes prepared with all settings and software to use the most common IT services at Umeå University.
- Enhanced security: Using client management, ITS can ensure that your computer is properly configured to counter IT and other security incidents. Client management helps you keep your computer's operating system and software up to date and includes complete virus protection.
- Easier program installations: You can quickly install new programs that Umeå University has an agreement for via the "Company Portal" that is pre-installed on your computer.
A new client management system is being implemented
As part of the work with the unified platform in Microsoft 365 and "the digital workplace", a new system for client management will be introduced at Umeå University in 2023. All employees at Umeå University will be affected and the new client management system Intune will be a modern, adaptable and secure platform for users who also meet the requirements we have on us as an authority.
During the month of October, mini-pilots begin at departments and units at Umeå University. The dialogue takes place in consultation with the respective IT contact person.
v. 40-41 PCs are moved in the pilot
v. 45-50 personal computers are moved for each unit
Later also relocation of shared computers, Macs and mobile devices
Timetable - when your computer switches client management support
Kost och Måltidsvetenskap
Kansliet för humaniora
Ide- och samgällsstudier
Samhällsmedicin och rehabilitering
Kansliet för medicin
Folkhälsa och klinisk medicin
Matematik o mat stat (MMS)
Kirurgisk och perioperativ vetenskap
Kultur- och medievetenskaper
Umeå centrum för genusstudier (USGS)
Good to know
- All previous admin permissions and backups will work as before.
- During the moving week, we recommend that you restart your computer every day.
- Once the move to Intune is complete on your computer, Windows Hello will start the next time you log into your computer, then follow the steps described there. If you experience problems, you send a case to Servicedesk with the heading "Intune" where you enter the computer name and description of the problem.
- In connection with the transition to Intune, the user must select the PIN code option and then enter a 6-digit code. The numeric code is used to identify oneself to the computer. Using a PIN is more secure than using a traditional password.
- Intune uses Windows Update for business, which makes the user experience better and more modern by getting updates and restarting the computer.
- Software Center is uninstalled and replaced by the "Company Portal"
- For those who had a PIN code for Bitlocker when starting the computer, this will be removed. The hard drive will still be encrypted.
- Microsoft 365 will be upgraded to the latest version (without Skype) and in connection with this all Microsoft 365 apps must be closed.
- Defender (antivirus) for Endpoint is activated
- All configurations and security policies are applied
- Windows Update is running and missing updates will be installed
- Onedrive on the computer will be configured automatically without turning on synchronization, but this can be set if the user wishes.
- Eduroam will be reinstalled. This may mean that you will be without a connection for a short period if you only use Eduroam. We recommend that you use a fixed connection or Umu wlan if you notice that Eduroam is not working. Eduroam will come back shortly and you won't need to make any adjustments yourself.