Hate crime, threat and violence

To be subjected to various forms of hatred, threat or violence affects us. It is important that you are not subjected to acts of hatred, threats or violence in your professional relationships with students, colleagues or in contact with people outside the workplace. If it should happen, support is available.


Photo: Communications Office

This page is aimed at those of you who have been subjected to threats or acts of hatred or violence and wish to know what support is available, regardless of the undesirable behaviour came from a colleague, a student or a person from outside the University.

Tell your line manager

It is important that you talk to your line manager as soon as possible to ensure that you get help in handling the situation. If necessary, your manager may contact the Human Resources Office, the security function or other offices in the University Administration for advice and support.

Suspected criminal offences must be reported to the Police

If you have been subjected to a criminal act, it must always be reported to the Police and investigated by the judicial system.

This applies regardless of the person conducting the act is a student, employee or an external party.

To report a crime, please call 114 14 or visit a police station.

Document what has happened

Note down the time and place, what has happened, what was said and your experience of the situation. These notes may constitute important documentation in a potential investigation. Also, save any potential letters, emails, text messages and other correspondence with the person who mistreated you.

Hatred or threats via email or social media

If you are subjected to hatred or threats via email or social media, it is beneficial if you document it. Save emails, take a screen shot of content or in other ways document the threat. It is also good if you write down dates and times, and that you inform your line manager.

Talk to someone

Everyone reacts differently when exposed to threats or acts of hatred or violence. You may feel unsafe and scared. You may get angry or have troubles remembering what has happened. To many, it is important to talk to someone you feel safe with. There is support available if you have been exposed to this type of crime.

Professional support and counselling

If you are in the need of professional support and counselling, you can turn directly to the University’s occupational health care services, Feelgood. You do not need prior approval from your manager or supervisor to book an appointment.

The University Chaplaincy also offers counselling for everyone at Umeå University, regardless of philosophy or religious beliefs.

What happens after I have informed others of the incident?

Your manager will investigate what has happened. The investigation may show if any security measures are necessary to prevent similar events from occurring again.

If a police report is filed

Usually, the person who has been subjected to, or detects, a crime is the person who should file the police report since this someone can best answer any questions the Police may have of the crime.

But if you both agree, your manager can file the police report on your behalf.

It is an advantage if reports of threats and violence are filed by visiting the police station. This means the investigator can meet the reporter and get a better picture of how you experienced the situation and what happened.

Remember that you have the right to ask questions regarding your report to the investigator. This may help if you feel worried.

When a police report has been filed, the Swedish Police Authority will submit a copy of your report to the registry at Umeå University, who in turn will forward the copy to the university’s security function.

If the police report includes information on which department, office or equivalent the report concerns, the security function will contact the relevant manager for information.

If the case goes to trial

It is beneficial if you and your manager discuss what support you wish or need to receive before, during and after a potential trial. For instance, it would be good if your manager or a colleague can accompany you during the trial to support you.

The Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority (Brottsoffermyndigheten) has more information about how a trial works and what support you can get

Learn more about crime victim support from the Swedish Police Authority

related information

If you have been a victim of crime
Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority (Brottsoffermyndigheten)

Victim support
Swedish Police Authority

Anja Axelsson